September 24, 2009
Friday, Sept. 25: The most eventful day ever
Friday, Sept. 25 seems like a pretty insignificant day. No major holidays nearby, and it's not my mom's birthday. But on this unassuming one day , there are a gazillion cool things going on in Dallas-Fort Worth. It's almost a shame how many great events are happening on Sept. 25, because you can't possibly get to all of them.
We'll assume that you're just as over-achieving with your weekend calendar as we are, and we challenge you to fit as many awesome things as possible into your Sept. 25.
They are, in no particular order:
- The State Fair of Texas opens today, duh. Wrap into that huge event a few smaller events, most notably the opening day parade , and the opening day ceremony .
- But that isn't it: Jason Castro is playing at the fair tonight.
- Also very cool: The Women's Museum's Rock 'n' Roll Photojournalists exhibit (at the â€¦ you guessed it â€¦ fair) is now open. Crisman and I went and it is, in fact, awesome.
- John is checking up on the Santiago Calatrava bridge project (remember, the really expensive one) at an event called â€œBridging the Trinityâ€ today.
- A giant auction finishes up today in Fort Worth .
- Autumn at the Arboretum is just kicking off.
- There's the Greek food festival
- And the Thai festival
- A bunch of big movies come out today, including but not limited to: Paris , Fame , Play the Game , Surrogates , Amreeka , and Pandorum .
- The UNT One O'Clock Lab Band is playing for free for UTD students
- The Midway Barker, who you'll see at the fair, will spend all day today barking at people, then do a quick costume change and meet his wife in Richardson for their husband-wife skit, Takin' a Break from Sex . (Hint: You'll hear more about this guy from us soon.)
- Crisman's favorite band ever , Snarky Puppy , is playing up in Denton.
- Max Stalling is playing at Love & War in Texas tonight. (You know him â€¦ â€œRunnin' Buddyâ€)
And the crazy thing is, I know I'm missing some. What are you doing tonight?