Meadows Opera Theatre: Albert Herring by Benjamin Britten
6101 Bishop Boulevard , Dallas, TX
$7 - $13
This virtuoso comic masterpiece tells the tale of the only virgin left in a small English town, a meek, shy mama’s boy who is crowned May King when none of the local girls are deemed pure enough to wear the crown. When his buddies secretly spike his coronation lemonade with rum, Albert goes on a bender and gains the courage to discover what the world outside his mama’s greengrocer shop has to offer, much to the shock and horror of the proper, puritanical townsfolk! Full of delightfully wicked, deftly drawn characters, Britten’s chamber opera sparkles with freshness, color and limitless charm. Sung in English with English supertitles, this production is part of the official Britten 100 International Centenary Celebration of the composer’s birth. Directed by Hank Hammett; accompanied by the Meadows Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Paul Phillips.
$13 adults, $10 seniors, $7 students/SMU faculty & staff
Information from venue
Did you go? Tell us about it.
- North Texas Food Bank may be short on funds, but also full of hope
- Photos: Dallas Baptist University is more than just a pretty campus, it's a botanical wonderland
- Dallas food distributor recalls more than 8,000 pounds of pork and beef
- Dallas firefighter died in apartment fire; no residents injured
- Mountain View College men's basketball wins national championship