Tuesday Evenings at the Modern: Gary Simmons
3200 Darnell Street , Fort Worth, TX
Gary Simmons, a New York-based artist recognized for his forthright address of race and culture, is probably best known for his expansive erasure drawings, originally made in chalk on blackboards that he smeared and obscured by hand to create ghostly images. One such piece, Wall of Eyes, was commissioned for the 1993 Whitney Biennial, and, more recently, the artist received critical attention for his solo exhibition Black Marquee at Anthony Meier Fine Arts, San Francisco, that referenced “blaxploitation” films of the 1970s. With an impressive exhibition record and a full-scale monograph, Gary Simmons: Paradise, Simmons is one of the Modern’s 2013 FOCUS show artists. FOCUS: Gary Simmons is on view through March 14, and for this Tuesday Evenings talk, the artist presents recurring ideas and new developments in his work.
The spring series for Tuesday Evenings at the Modern begins February 12 and ends April 23. These lectures and presentations by artists, architects, historians, and critics are held in the Modern's auditorium and begin at 7 pm. Free admission tickets (limit two) can be picked up at the Modern's information desk beginning at 5 pm on the day of the lecture. Seating begins at 6:30 pm and is limited to the first 250 ticketholders. A live broadcast of the lectures is shown in Café Modern for any additional guests. The Museum galleries remain open until 7 pm on Tuesdays during the series (regular gallery admission charge applies).
Information from venue
Did you go? Tell us about it.
No users have favorited this yet. Be the first!
Here are some nearby...
Places to eat:
- The Ginger Man: $1 off most pints and talls
- Ye Olde Bull & Bush: $1 off pints, $1 off bottled beers
- Capital Bar: $2.75 Domestics, $3.25 Imports, $1 off cocktails & wine
- BoomerJack's Grill & Bar: $2 Domestic Pints, $3 Domestic Pilsners, $3 Well Drinks, $2.50 Sam Adams, $3 Tito's Vodka, $15 Buckets of Corona and Corona Light
- Poag Mahone's Irish Pub: $1.75 wells, $1.75 drafts
See more events classified as:
- Theater review: Woman in Black keeps audiences on edge
- Jack FM hosts beer, bourbon and barbecue festival in Fort Worth
- Amon Carter acquires "destination" portrait by American painter John Singer Sargent
- Theater review: Circle Theatre mounts a shocking and absurdly funny Exit, Pursued by a Bear
- Chef Tim Love: Despite Lonesome Dove fire, "we will reopen stronger"