2013 Thin Line Film Fest - 4 Nights in December
115 North Elm Street , Denton, TX
$6 - $10
Filmmaker Patrick Flaherty in attendance! Then join Trebuchet at Dan's Silverleaf (Free admission/drinks with Festival Pass)
Centered on the Denton (TX) based, underground band, Trebuchet, “Four Nights in December” chronicles the making of and reflection on their 2nd independent, full-length album. At the root of the film is the DIY ideal: squeezing every last bit of potential from the resources at your disposal to make the best art possible.
The setting of “Four Nights in December” is predominantly Denton’s historical square district. There the 5-piece rock outfit decided to record in a second story loft once occupied by one of their members. No fancy recording studio—just a loft, lights, cameras, and a handful of ever-engaging imaginations. The idea was to record the songs much like a live show and capture that experience on film in order to have four music videos to promote/accompany the album upon its release.
Shortly thereafter, the idea of “interviews” with members and friends/fans came to fruition. Topics covered throughout the film include the DIY mentality, reasons for recording in such a peculiar way in such a particular setting, band quirks, compositional style, the band’s progression, and the band’s new album.
Shot in different locations around town—including a historical basement bar, a moving van, the band’s rehearsal space, a sidewalk on the square, and Studio 105—the interviews bring a rich context and narrative to a relatively unknown musical entity. What the film captures is not just another rock band striving to be heard, but a rock band that does so with a humble and calculated demeanor and a grasp on what it means to make music with integrity.
Duration: 51 mins
Directed & Produced by: Patrick Flaherty
Information from the festival website
Did you go? Tell us about it.
No users have favorited this yet. Be the first!
Here are some nearby...
Places to eat:
- Hannah's Off the Square: $2 domestic drafts / $3 import drafts / $3 wells / half-price martinis / half-price glasses of wine
- Sweetwater Grill and Tavern: $ domestic bottles
- Hailey's: $1.50 wells and domestics
- Sweetwater Grill and Tavern: $2 Cuervo shots
- Fry Street Tavern: $3 freezer shots, $2.25, domestic drafts, $2 double wells and tangos, additional daily drink specials
- 35 Denton's pop-up venue The Hive will soon be a permanent live music spot
- Restaurant review: Michael's Kitchen makes mediocre meals unlikely to impress or offend
- Chef Tim Love brings fine dining to the Denton Square with Queenie's Steakhouse
- Denton's Bavarian beer house, Gerhard's, gets stamp of approval from German natives
- Restaurant review: J&J's Pizza stands the test of time in Denton