Tuesday Evenings at the Modern: Dr. Beatriz Rodriguez Balanta
3200 Darnell Street , Fort Worth, TX
Dr. Beatriz Rodríguez Balanta received her PhD in Romance Studies from Duke University, where she focused on the visual and literary mechanisms used to refurbish racial and social hierarchies in Brazil and Colombia in the aftermath of the abolition of slavery for her dissertation Realism, Race and Citizenship: Four Moments in the Making of the Black Body, Colombia and Brazil, 1853–1907. Having recently arrived in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex as Assistant Professor of Art History at Southern Methodist University, Dr. Balanta offers interesting insights into the work of Yinka Shonibare MBE, currently featured in the Modern’s exhibition FOCUS: Yinka Shonibare MBE, for this Tuesday Evenings presentation titled "Paradox, Excess and Complicity": Yinka Shonibare and the Conceptualization of (Post?) Colonial Experience.
The spring series for Tuesday Evenings at the Modern begins February 12 and ends April 23. These lectures and presentations by artists, architects, historians, and critics are held in the Modern's auditorium and begin at 7 pm. Free admission tickets (limit two) can be picked up at the Modern's information desk beginning at 5 pm on the day of the lecture. Seating begins at 6:30 pm and is limited to the first 250 ticketholders. A live broadcast of the lectures is shown in Café Modern for any additional guests. The Museum galleries remain open until 7 pm on Tuesdays during the series (regular gallery admission charge applies).
Information from venue
Did you go? Tell us about it.
No users have favorited this yet. Be the first!
Here are some nearby...
Places to eat:
- Capital Bar: $2.75 Domestics, $3.25 Imports, $1 off cocktails & wine, $26 bottle of mimosa, $15 domestic buckets on the patio
- Pappasito's Cantina: $ 2.95 Bud Light and Miller Lite drafts, $3.95 $6 margaritas, half off Cuervo and Crown Royal shots / $5 appetizers
- Capital Bar: $2.75 Domestics, $3.25 Imports, $1 off cocktails & wine
- The Ginger Man: $1 off most pints and talls
- Eddie V's Prime Seafood (Fort Worth): $2 off drinks / $5 special cocktails / $5 wines by the glass
See more events classified as:
- UPDATED: Missing dog whose owners were offering $2,000 reward has been found
- Theater review: Woman in Black keeps audiences on edge
- Jack FM hosts beer, bourbon and barbecue festival in Fort Worth
- Amon Carter acquires "destination" portrait by American painter John Singer Sargent
- Theater review: Circle Theatre mounts a shocking and absurdly funny Exit, Pursued by a Bear