Public Debate Series: SMU vs. The Great Debaters
in O’Donnell Auditorium, Room 2130
February 20, 2013
6101 Bishop Boulevard , University Park, TX
Debate teams from SMU and Wiley College will match up in a continuation of their long-term relationship. Wiley, a historically black college in Marshall, Texas, was highlighted in the 2007 film The Great Debaters, the story of the school’s 1935 debate team that broke racial boundaries and defeated a national championship team from a white university. SMU had invited Wiley to campus in 1935, but the debate had to be canceled; the two schools finally kept their debate appointment in 2009. The topic of the February debate will be a current controversy of interest to general audiences. The event is open to the public. The debate program is sponsored by the SMU Meadows Division of Communication Studies.
Did you go? Tell us about it.
No users have favorited this yet. Be the first!
Here are some nearby...
Places to eat:
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- New growler shop in East Dallas begins filling Lone Star suds today
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Komali and Salum in Uptown have a new executive chef
- Photos: Beer sales have made SMU's Moody Coliseum way, way more fun