Public Debate Series: SMU vs. The Great Debaters
in O’Donnell Auditorium, Room 2130
6101 Bishop Boulevard , University Park, TX
Debate teams from SMU and Wiley College will match up in a continuation of their long-term relationship. Wiley, a historically black college in Marshall, Texas, was highlighted in the 2007 film The Great Debaters, the story of the school’s 1935 debate team that broke racial boundaries and defeated a national championship team from a white university. SMU had invited Wiley to campus in 1935, but the debate had to be canceled; the two schools finally kept their debate appointment in 2009. The topic of the February debate will be a current controversy of interest to general audiences. The event is open to the public. The debate program is sponsored by the SMU Meadows Division of Communication Studies.
Did you go? Tell us about it.
No users have favorited this yet. Be the first!
Here are some nearby...
Places to eat:
- Paleo-inspired restaurant HG Sply Co. opens May 21 on Lower Greenville
- "Young and funky" wanted for television series filmed at Dallas' Good Records
- Brangelina release limited quantity of original rosé wine at Sigel's on Greenville
- Photos: Lumen Hotel adds swank artwork by Dallas-based artists
- Tech-savvy: 4 of the coolest gadgets in the Bush Presidential Center