M.K. Asante, Jr.
February 26, 2013
6405 Boaz Lane , University Park, TX
MK Asante is an award-winning author, filmmaker, and professor who CNN calls "a master storyteller and major creative force."
The author of three celebrated books, Asante is a recipient of the Langston Hughes Award. His latest book, It's Bigger Than Hip Hop, was hailed by the Los Angeles Times as "An empowering book that moves you to action and to question status quo America."
His other books are Beautiful. And Ugly Too and Like Water Running Off My Back. Asante's fourth book, Buck, a coming-of-age memoir, will be published by Random House in 2013.
An acclaimed filmmaker, Asante directed The Black Candle, a film he co-wrote with renowned poet Maya Angelou who also narrates the prize-winning film. He wrote and produced the film 500 Years Later, winner of five international film festival awards as well as the Breaking the Chains award from the United Nations. He also produced the multi award-winning film Motherland.
Information from venue
Did you go? Tell us about it.
No users have favorited this yet. Be the first!
Here are some nearby...
Places to eat:
- New growler shop in East Dallas begins filling Lone Star suds today
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Komali and Salum in Uptown have a new executive chef
- Photos: Beer sales have made SMU's Moody Coliseum way, way more fun
- Seafood restaurant Palapas opens on Greenville Ave with two big patios