Thursday, December 6, 2007
UTA men’s basketball team off to perfect start
The UTA Mavs men’s basketball team is heading into holiday play with the best start in the 48-year history of the program being in Division I.
The UT Arlington Mavericks men’s basketball team is heading into holiday play with the best start (7-0) in the 48-year history of the program being in Division I. The Mavericks are ranked No. 19 in the weekly Mid Major Poll that www.collegeinsider.com releases. Among the colleges in this top 25 poll are: Butler, Gonzaga and Southern Illinois. Among the 341 Division I teams, the Mavericks are one of only 18 that are still undefeated. The men’s team has tied the school record of 12 consecutive home wins at Texas Hall and have not trailed in a game for the last 127 minutes – the equivalent to more than three full games. The Mavericks also are third among all NCAA Division I schools in field goal percentage at 53.4, greatly aided by UT Arlington’s own Jermaine Griffin’s 74.2 percent field goal shooting. The Mavericks’ next game is at 7 p.m. Friday against Wichita State in Wichita, Kansas. Then the men’s team travels to Fort Worth to wage war against TCU in a 7 p.m. Dec. 17 contest. The Mavericks then close out play before Christmas with a 7 p.m. Dec. 22 game against the Big 12’s Oklahoma State Cowboys in Stillwater, Okla.
- UPDATEDx2: George Strait may end farewell tour at AT&T Stadium in Arlington June 7, 2014
- Jerry World sets sights global rodeo domination
- UT-Arlington will exhibit rare JFK photographs
- Really? The video screen at Jerry World is a "breathtakingly bad" idea?
- Are you ready for some football? Dallas Cowboys' kick off in free-to-the-public practice