Friday, August 1, 2008 , Updated 12:14 p.m., August 4, 2008
UPDATED: Man trying to steal copper wires gets badly burned on utility pole in Dallas
Crime does not pay.
DALLAS Responding to a call at 5:30 a.m. on Friday from a passerby, Dallas Fire-Rescue found a man who was on top of a utility pole, severely burned. Looks like he was trying to steal copper wiring. It took them over an hour to get him down because his flesh had "melded" with the metal on the pole.
The passerby saw wires sparking on the utility pole in the 800 block of Regal Row, near Irving, and there were reports of power outages. Officials think that the man was hit with 7,620 volts, possibly twice, and most of his clothes were burned off or blown off. He suffered third-degree burns and was burned on about 50 percent of his body, and was taken to Parkland Hospital.
UPDATE: The man, 51-year-old James Buster McKay, died at 11 p.m. on Saturday evening from his injuries.
Posted by T.G.
- New food truck park opens this weekend near Love Field
- Dancers sue Baby Dolls for refusing to compensate them
- Hazmat team finds corn starch in envelope at Dallas business
- Restaurant review: Taco's House in Dallas dishes up impeccable lamb
- Celebrate Sonny Bryan's 55th birthday with $2 off a barbecue sandwich