Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Updated 8:04 p.m., September 1, 2008
UPDATED: State Fair of Texas announces 2008 list of weird fried foods
Three words: Chicken-fried bacon.
The State Fair of Texas, which runs September 26 through October 19, released the list of "food items" in the running for the 2008 annual Big Tex Choice Awards, coming up on Monday September 1:
Fernie’s All-American Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwich. White bread sandwich with American and cheddar cheeses dipped in egg-and-milk batter, coated with bread crumbs, and fried.
Chicken Fried Bacon. Bacon with seasoning, battered, breaded, deep-fried, served with ranch or honey mustard sauce.
Fried Banana Split. Banana and honey peanut butter rolled in balls, battered, and deep-fried, topped with powdered sugar, caramel and chocolate syrups, peanuts, whipped cream, banana split-flavored ice cream bites, and cherry.
Texas Fried Jelly Bellys. Jelly Bellys rolled in funnel cake batter and fried.
Deep Fried S’mores. Marshmallow and chocolate chips sandwiched between two graham crackers, dipped in batter, fried, and dusted in powdered sugar.
Fire & Ice. Pineapple ring, battered and deep-fried, topped with banana-flavored whipped cream that’s been frozen in liquid nitrogen so it smokes.
Fried Chocolate Truffles. Dark chocolate truffle rolled in cocoa powder, battered, deep-fried, dusted in cinnamon, sugar, and cocoa powder.
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Waffle Balls. Strawberries in chocolate shell, dipped in waffle batter, deep-fried, custed with powdered sugar, served on a stick.
UPDATE: The bacon won.
Source: State Fair of Texas
- UPDATED with photos: State Fair of Texas is serving fried cactus this year
- UPDATED: Texas State Veggie Fair is back with a vegan-ness
- How the State Fair of Texas' fried food thing got to be so big
- UPDATED: State Fair of Texas, coming September 30, announces 2011 theme
- The 2010 State Fair of Texas fried foods, oh what will they be
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger