Thursday, January 31, 2008
Wylie teen fights with school over hairstyle
School officials say LaKia Watkins' braids and colored hair violate dress code policy.
Wylie teenager LaKia Watkins and her mother have decided that they would rather remove LaKia from Wylie High School than conform with the demands of school officials, who say that LaKia's braids and plum-colored hair violate the school's dress code policy. Both LaKia and her mother say this is just the latest example of racism LaKia has experienced since enrolling in the school last fall.
Posted by Alex B.
See more stories in:
- Four-story screen at Wylie's new movie theater ranks among largest in nation
- Teenagers, 20-year-old now running Denton Square Donuts
- SH 78 in Wylie closed to one lane on Monday and Tuesday
- FM 1378 in Wylie closed for railroad crossing construction Saturday and Sunday
- A male Chihuahua is missing in the Wylie area