Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Video interview: Bill Engvall at the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas
Bill was in town last week to promote the premiere of the second season of his TBS TV sitcom. We talked. Thus this post.
We had a great time visiting with funnyman Bill Engvall while he was in town last week promoting the second season of The Bill Engvall Show - not only because he's a genuinely friendly and personable guy, but also because he was hanging out at the luxe Ritz-Carlton, which none of our crack Pegnews field production team had visited before.
I should explain the non-sequitur insert (from which the tease photo is taken) where Bill makes a finger-gun and goes "kapow!" - there was a story leading up to that, but my video editor considered it a bit too insidery and long-winded for our short attention span viewership. At the same time, we decided the finger-gun thing itself was too cool not to use, so there it is (about five minutes into the eight-minute video).
For those who are curious, the story involves Bill's participation as an actor in an independent short film where he plays a gunfighter. His gunfighter character is troubled by dreams in which he appears on the street for the showdown stark naked - except for boots and gunbelt. But the worst part of the dream - the nightmarish part - involves his opponent, who turns out to be a midget. (Sounds Freudian.)
Interview: Bill Engvall
Here are highlights of items covered in the interview:
* We quiz Bill about what's new for the new season on his "clean, wholesome show" for TBS
* When he refers to "Two Men and a Baby" you can assume he really means "Two and a Half Men"
* We get inside information on a possible big name guest star for next season who will play his wife's dad. (*Think: famous TV psychiatrist.)
* Hear Bill say, in relation to the show: "I like that it's not just booger and fart stuff."
* He talks about the book he'd really like to write
And finally, Bill tells us his favorite way to unwind after a hard day of filming.
Catch the Bill Engvall Show when it premieres on TBS Thursday night (June 12) at 8 p.m. In the meantime, tune in to our interview.