Friday, September 5, 2008
Nine Dallas County Community College students named LeCroy Scholars
Each LeCroy Scholar receives up to $3,200 ($800 per semester, with a maximum of four semesters) to attend any of DCCCD’s seven individually accredited colleges.
Nine high school and college students from throughout the Dallas metroplex have been named 2008-2009 LeCroy Scholars by the Dallas County Community College District Foundation for their outstanding leadership and academic achievements. The program honors DCCCD’s former chancellor, Dr. Jan LeCroy, who served in that capacity from 1981 to 1988. Each LeCroy Scholar receives up to $3,200 ($800 per semester, with a maximum of four semesters) to attend any of DCCCD’s seven individually accredited colleges: Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake or Richland.
The LeCroy Scholars fund was made possible by a grant established in 1988 by Mike A. Myers and the Mike Myers Foundation. A long-time Dallas business and civic leader, he provided funds to recognize LeCroy’s leadership; the program was the first major student recognition and incentive scholarship created for DCCCD. Myers currently is chairman and president of the Myers Financial Corporation. He will be honored in November as one of four 2008 Stars of Texas when he is inducted into the Texas Business Hall of Fame.
The students began attending classes for the fall semester during the last week of August. The scholarship recipients, the colleges they attend and the fields they are studying are:
* Elizabeth Erickson of Carrollton, Brookhaven College, arts
* Rachael Halsdorf of Forney, Eastfield College, mathematics
* Trish Harding of Garland, Richland College, mathematics
* Brandy Nichole Laney of Coppell, North Lake College, elementary education
* Fabiola Olvera of Dallas, Mountain View College, education
* Crystal Pacheco of Irving, North Lake College, journalism
* Alicia Rood of Coppell, North Lake College, business
* Vanessa Tapia of Carrollton, Brookhaven College, public policy
* Daniela Villegas of Irving, El Centro College, nursing
Six other DCCCD students are returning 2007-2008 LeCroy Scholars. They are:
* Norma Broussard of Mesquite, Brookhaven College, nursing
* Stephanie Cailloux of Dallas, El Centro College, nursing
* Wendy Camarena of Dallas, Brookhaven College, communications
* Pamela Juarez of Carrollton, Brookhaven College, criminal justice
* Aisha Khan of Mesquite, Eastfield College, pharmacy
* Perla Sanchez of Dallas, Brookhaven College, biology/business
Anyone interested in learning more about how to apply for a LeCroy Scholarship can visit www.dcccd.edu/fdn/scholarships/foundation/lecroy.