Thursday, September 18, 2008
Pegasus News Week in View: Pride Edition
Say it loud.
Be sure to check in with us over the next week. In addition to our usual PegNewsy goodness, we've got FC Dallas and Drive-By-Truckers tickets we'll be giving away, although we really don't have to bribe you to read anymore? Right?
Metro: Even though we were largely spared Ike's wrath, we're still housing a lot of Houstonians waiting out the rebuild. Be sure to check out Vincent Tucker's hurricane show ... DART is adding bike racks to buses ... Big Brother is watching you in downtown Dallas, twice as much ... It's city budget season in DFW, and most of the news isn't good ... Your Hummer isn't safe in Southlake, nor your swingers' club in Duncanville ... The Collin County Observer thinks his county should follow Dallas' suit in reviewing capital cases.
Stage: Casa Mañana has a new president ... Alexandra Bonifield caught Echo Theatre's American Cassandra: Déjà vu ... Check in on Friday for the Spotlight of the Week and details on this weekend's openings and closings.
Music: Farewell to Bar of Soap ... Returning content partner Cindy Chaffin has been posting some great concert video and was at the Method Entertainment Showcase ... Brenna interviewed Tyler Rougeux of the Whiskey Folk Ramblers ... There are four kinda-free music fests coming to downtown Dallas ... Kenneth Smith caught Nightwish at The Palladium ... Treavor Knox reviewed Ratata / E*Rock / Panther.
Game: How 'bout them Cowboys? ... The Mavericks' Josh Howard got caught on video dissing the national anthem ... The Cupcheck has your horoscope ... College Football Top Ten previews the battle for the Iron Skillet ... The Rangers pounded the Tigers and got POUNDED by the Tigers.
Pegasus Picks for the weekend
- I'm going to catch Buddy Guy in Fort Worth at Jazz by the Boulevard, which continues all weekend.
- Continuing in the festival vein, get your oompah on at Addison's annual Oktoberfest (all weekend).
- Hailey's celebrates the return to school with a huge (and free) lineup.
- Someone who knows more about her than I do just told me that Ani DiFranco is like a more coherent, female Bob Dylan.
- Look! Up in the sky! It's the Plano Balloon Festival (all weekend).
- Pegasus Plaza hosts its first fall mini-fest with Louis XIV / Crash That Took Me / Stock Market Crash / Calhoun / The Orange / Alpha Rev.
- J&J Blues Bar in Fort Worth hosts the annual Southwest Blues Heritage Festival.
- If that's not enough blues, catch Robert Cray and Guy Forsyth at HOB.
- Singer-songwriter Amos Lee is at The Granada
- Good Records hosts a CD release party for The Theater Fire, complete with vegan BBQ from Spiral Diner.
- I've always wanted to follow that Sunday reference with a drag race. O'Reilly Superstart is at the Motorplex all weekend.
- Celebrate Peace in the Bishop Arts District
- The 25th Annual Alan Ross Texas Freedom Parade highlights Pride Weekend .
- Catch some young rockers at Zounds Sounds' showcase.