Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Mike Herrera, of Dallas restaurant chain Herrera’s, dies at Parkland Hospital
Uninsured, he waited nearly 19 hours in the waiting room.
He came to the emergency room on Friday afternoon because he felt a sharp abdominal pain while golfing -- he had a hernia -- but had no health insurance and wasn't suffering from an urgent injury such as a gunshot wound, so he kept getting bumped back in line. Friends and family came to visit him while he waited. On Saturday morning at 11 a.m., he was on his way to an examination room when he began vomiting and collapsed. Doctors tried to revive him for almost two hours.
The DMN obit goes into detail not just about Herrera's life -- helping his mother Amelia found the chain (which Hillary Clinton visited while on the campaign trail in March), his skills at bowling, fondness for golf, and lack of personal savings -- but also about how long emergency-room patients frequently have to wait.
Posted by T.G.
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- New restaurant Town Hearth expected to open in Design District in 2015
- Komali and Salum in Uptown have a new executive chef
- Miley Cyrus' over-sexed persona is hurting concert ticket sales