Monday, April 20, 2009 , Updated 1:00 p.m., April 20, 2009
UPDATEDx2: Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas on fire
The hotel has been evacuated due to a three-alarm fire that officials say started in the laundry room.
The Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas has been evacuated due to a three-alarm fire that officials say started in the laundry room. No word yet on the extent of the damages or if anyone was injured in the blaze.
UPDATE: Here's the official word from the Dallas Fire Department as of 11:40 a.m.:
Numerous citizens evacuated into the streets, as the smell of smoke overwhelmed visitors, as high as the 8th floor, of a Downtown Dallas hotel.
At 09:15 Dallas Fire-Rescue responded to a 911 call at 1321 Commerce St.
They arrived to thick smoke coming from the parking garage of the Adolphus Hotel. Due to the size of the structure and the number of occupants that could have potentially remained inside, firefighters initiated a 2nd alarm response. They were then able to move inside and quickly locate and extinguish the fire before it escalated.
All occupants of the hotel had been evacuated upon arrival. However, there was one individual who suffered from minor smoke inhalation. Fortunately, his condition was such that it only warranted moderate oxygen therapy, from DF-R paramedics, for approximately 10-15 minutes. He was later released and able to return and join his co-workers. There were no injuries to any firefighters.
Investigators have been able to determine that the fire originated in a laundry room in the basement. However, they have not determined the exact source within the room. As soon as firefighters are able to evacuate the smoke, investigators can begin the process in determining a more specific source. That process could take a substantial amount of time, so firefighters have called in a 3rd alarm for more resources. Visitors can expect to be back in their rooms within the next hour and a half.
UPDATE 2: Investigators have determined that the fire started in a commercial dryer in the sub-basement as it overheated due to a mechanical malfunction. The fire generated smoke that eventually reached the vent piping where lint had accumulated over time. Occupants have been allowed back into their rooms, but it could be some time before the smell of smoke is completely dissipated.
Posted by Alex B.
See more stories in:
- Looking for dinner and a game of bocce? Try Samar by Stephan Pyles
- Dallas Beer Kitchen promises "rare, hard to find" brews on Lowest Greenville
- Transit Bicycle Co. relocates to Lower Greenville
- Creepy rendering of Big Tex shows he's almost ready for the State Fair
- Photos: Dallas Heritage Village Charleston'd its way through history on Saturday