Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Koi turn up dead in Fort Worth Japanese Garden after accidental chlorination
All because they used regular tap water to fill the pond. DOH!
By Flickr user Slick Vic
More than 100 Koi fish were discovered dead today in the Japanese Garden pond after the water was accidentally chlorinated overnight.
The garden’s three ponds normally contain about 800 of the brightly colored orange fish that range in size from about six inches to three feet in length.
The accidental chlorination occurred during normal pond cleaning that is carried out every other year.
The procedure involves lowering the water level in the pond and placing two 55-gallon stock tanks filled with raw water in the pool to contain the fish. The tanks are filled with a water line that normally carries raw water, but due to a maintenance procedure at the nearby South Holly Water Treatment Plant, the line also was being injected with tap water. Tap water contains levels of chlorine that are safe for human consumption, but are harmful to Koi fish.
The Japanese Garden is closed to the public today.
Source: Fort Worth
- Totally RAWsome photos of WWE Raw in Fort Worth
- Video: Throwback drive-in movie theater now open in Fort Worth
- Several DFW bands announced for Dia de los Toadies in Fort Worth
- Get it twisted: Indigo Yoga's summer challenge offers free classes, rewards
- Theater review: Technophiles must flock to Amphibian Stage Production's The Agony and the Ecstacy of Steve Jobs