Friday, March 6, 2009
NX35 “conferette” should not be ignored by SXSW fans
It would be almost criminal for any real music fan to ignore the new festival--we mean, conferette.
While there is much attention being paid to the upcoming annual SXSW in Austin, it would be almost criminal for any real music fan to ignore the new festival (sorry, I mean conferette) taking place in Denton the weekend before the ballyhooed yearly music industry extravaganza.
NX35 is going to host tons of bands over the weekend of March 14-16 in many of the excellent venues around the home of the Mean Green of North Texas. With an assortment of speakers and other goings-on though the daytime hours (including a convo about jazz from Harvey Pekar), the main events will obviously be the bands at night. The bill has a distinct local flavor, but at least they are among the best this area can offer. Doug Burr, Sarah Jaffe, Pinebox Serenade, Dust Congress, The Drams, Riverboat Gamblers and Matthew & the Arrogant Sea, are the homegrown highlights for me, while The Low Anthem, Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, James McMurtry and Possessed by Paul James provide the oomph for the out-of-town portion of the festi…I mean, conferette.
Oh yeah, these guys are worth catching at NX35 also…
Pegasus News Content partner - The Gobblers Knob
- 35 Denton's pop-up venue The Hive will soon be a permanent live music spot
- Restaurant review: Michael's Kitchen makes mediocre meals unlikely to impress or offend
- Chef Tim Love brings fine dining to the Denton Square with Queenie's Steakhouse
- Denton's Bavarian beer house, Gerhard's, gets stamp of approval from German natives
- Restaurant review: J&J's Pizza stands the test of time in Denton