Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Eight finalists for best fried food of 2009 State Fair of Texas includes — fried butter
100% pure butter is whipped till light and fluffy, then specially sweetened with a choice of several flavors.
Howdy! It’s the Fifth Annual Big Tex Choice Awards where State Fair of Texas vendors duke it out in a friendly food fight to determine the new best edibles.
Since 2005, creative cooks have whipped up wildly imaginative treats, and local, national, and international programs, publications, and websites have taken notice.
Participants submitted their recipes in early August. (Drum roll, please.) Now, eight are left standing. The kitchen heats up on Labor Day for the final round where a panel of three judges will pick the winning entries in two categories: Best Taste and Most Creative. How will they top last year’s big winners, Chicken Fried Bacon and the Fried Banana Split?
Green Goblins – Cherry peppers are hollowed out, stuffed with spicy shredded chicken and guacamole, then battered and deep fried. Served three to a skewer and topped with queso.
Deep Fried Butter – 100% pure butter is whipped till light and fluffy, then specially sweetened with a choice of several flavors. The tantalizing mixture is surrounded by a special dough and quick fried. Served on a stick.
Twisted Yam on a Stick – A delicious, towering, spiral-cut sweet potato on a 13” skewer is fried to a delicate crispy texture, then gently rolled in butter and dusted with cinnamon and sugar.
Fernie’s Deep Fried Peaches & Cream – Sweet juicy peaches are coated in a delicious batter of cinnamon, ginger, coconut, graham cracker crumbs, eggs & milk, then deep fried to a crunchy golden brown on the outside, while luscious and sweet on the inside. Served on a plate drizzled with raspberry sauce and sprinkled with streusel topping & a dollop of whipped cream. A side of vanilla butter cream icing is provided for dipping.
Texas Fried Pecan Pie – A mini-pecan pie is battered and deep fried to a golden brown. Served drizzled with rich caramel sauce, then topped with whipping cream and chopped candied pecans.
Country Fried Pork Chips – Thin sliced pork loin is seasoned, surrounded by a tasty corn meal batter and deep fried. Served with sides of ketchup or cream gravy.
Sweet Jalapeno Corn Dog Shrimp – Shrimp on a stick is coated with a sweet and spicy corn meal batter, then deep fried to a golden brown and served with a spicy glaze.
Fried Peanut Butter Cup Macaroon – A peanut butter cup is wrapped inside a coconut macaroon fried and dusted with powdered sugar. Also available with a scoop of Blue Bell ice cream.
Source: State Fair of Texas
- UPDATED with photos: State Fair of Texas is serving fried cactus this year
- State Fair of Texas 2012 offers fried Samoa Girl Scouts cookie
- How the State Fair of Texas' fried food thing got to be so big
- Scroll through photos of State Fair of Texas' 2011 fried food finalists
- The 2010 State Fair of Texas fried foods, oh what will they be
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Did you know Mary Suhm was a high school beauty queen in Beaumont? 10 things about her:
- Dallas-based Pecan Lodge is Texas Monthly's second-best barbecue joint, sort of
- "Young and funky" wanted for television series filmed at Dallas' Good Records