Monday, December 20, 2010
Top 10 photo galleries of 2010
2010 saw its fair share of underwear, implosions, and celebrities, and we were there to get it all on film (or rather, digital sensor). [Insert nerdy photographer joke here.]
10. No Pants Day: The year started off in a most unusual way ... with no pants! For the first time ever, Dallas participated in the nation-wide unofficial No Pants Day holiday on January 10, and we were there to photograph every boxer and brief.
9. Dallas' First Annual Snuggie Pub Crawl: What could be better than friends, a pint of beer, and a snuggie to keep you warm? Dallas did just that on February 6, hitting up The Ginger Man, Idle Rich Pub, and The Quarter Bar, among others.
8. The Great Dallas Snow of Aught-ten: John P. Meyer ventured out into the Arctic Blast on February 13 to get shots of the day that broke the record for greatest single-day snowfall in the city's history.
7. Fires on Greenville Avenue: Scott Dorn documented the after-effects of the devastating Greenville Avenue fire that damaged several locally-owned bars and restaurants.
6. Texas Stadium Implosion: North Texans said goodbye to this Irving landmark on April 11. Crowds gathered in the wee hours of the morning to watch the 39 year-old building implode in a matter of seconds.
5. Conan O' Brian at McFarlin Auditorium: Unshaven and unemployed (at the time), Conan stopped by Dallas on May 13 for his 32-city comedy tour titled "Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour."
4. Westboro Baptist Church Protests in Dallas: North Texans gave the Westboro Baptist Church a not-so-warm welcome when church members from Kansas came to protest several North Texas buildings, one being the Dallas Holocaust Museum.
3. State Fair of Texas Photographs: Kevin Brown, the official photographer of the State Fair of Texas, kindly shared some of his awesome fair photos with us. Here are just a few of the roughly 30,000 fair photographs he's taken over the years.
1. City Lights in Downtown Dallas: And to kick off the holidays, Elliot Muñoz photographed the City Lights Celebration in Main Street Garden in late November. Crowds gathered outside the Neiman Marcus windows to see the magical holiday display they had come up with this year.