Monday, March 1, 2010
Pecan Lodge Catering opens restaurant in Dallas Farmers Market
Newest tenant in gourmet-centric Shed #2.
DALLAS Pecan Lodge Catering, the newest tenant to set up shop at the Dallas Farmers Market, held its soft opening on Saturday night, welcoming a few dozen friends and family members in a laid-back mock-service event to give its staff some practice in anticipation of its official opening to the public on March 4.
Justin and Diane Mason Fourton previously operated Pecan Lodge as a catering company out of Frisco, until they found their permanent location at the Dallas Farmers Market, in the upscale-ish Shed #2, home to specialty vendors such as Chicago-themed Old World Sausage Co.
Their menu consists of BBQ, Tex-Mex, and "Southern comfort" food such as shrimp and grits and banana cream pudding. Items served at the soft opening included ribs, fajita tacos, a BBQ brisket sandwich, and their unique signature item called the "Hot Mess," consisting of a "loaded" baked sweet potato topped with shredded brisket.
As the photos show, it's a nice space with tasteful furniture and an environmentally-friendly use of molded pulp -- aka the cardboard used for egg cartons -- for plates and trays.
The crowd included other Farmers Market vendors such as Trico Shrimp Co.
Judd Adams, 33, of Dallas, was able to offer a personal voucher for Pecan Lodge's food.
"They catered my sister's wedding," he said. "I know everyone does fajitas, but theirs has a smoky flavor in the meat that makes it different."
Meanwhile, young Mason Yarbrough, 10, was one of many kids who got in line after they finished their sandwiches to order the sole dessert of the night: a Tumbleweed cookie, one of those "compost"-style cookies into which the chef dumps a little of everything -- chocolate chips, nuts, flaked coconut, etc.
- Pecan Lodge in Dallas offers two options to skip the line
- Dallas-based Pecan Lodge is Texas Monthly's second-best barbecue joint, sort of
- Behind the scenes at a Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives taping at Pecan Lodge in Dallas
- Top 9 biggest restaurant news stories in Dallas-Fort Worth in 2010
- Barbecue report: Pecan Lodge at Dallas Farmers Market
- Remember the Bud Light Hotel in Dallas at Super Bowl? It's back for Final Four
- Neil Young returns to the Meyerson in April
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July