Monday, May 17, 2010
Photos: Vintage burlesque dancers bare it all — well, almost — at Hot Rods and Heels (May 15)
Pasties included, though you'll have to use your imagination.
LAKEWOOD Lakewood Theater welcomed in dozens of beauties to perform at Hot Rods & Heels, a showcase of pin-up and burlesque performers. One of our photographers called it "the best pin-up show we’ve been to."
The event was a step back in time, with guys in jeans and slicked-back hair and girls with delicate curls pinned to their heads. Dayna Delux emceed the pin-up fashion show, which helped get the crowd ready for the main event. And once the "main" show began -- a burlesque performance -- more than 20 men and women took the stage. The performances varied in style from traditional burlesque, theater, and musical theater, to contemporary. And there were only two wardrobe malfunctions! "Nick" also performed a tribute to Michael Jackson, to the delight of the audience.
As they say: "Hot Rods and Heels was born like all great American inventions -- on a cocktail napkin at a bar; this one happened to be written in Dallas in October of 2008. Since then it has grown to become the Largest Pin-Up Event in Texas and a not to be missed annual tradition in the vintage community."
Pegasus News Content partner - Pretty Cool Images
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- New growler shop in East Dallas begins filling Lone Star suds today
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger