Wednesday, November 17, 2010
York Street, considered by many to be Dallas’ best restaurant, to close on Saturday
Chef-owner Sharon Hage to take some time off.
DALLAS York Street, considered by many to be Dallas' best restaurant, will close on Saturday, confirmed chef-owner Sharon Hage, who said she plans to take some time off.
"I'm just taking a break," Hage said on Wednesday. "I’m closing after Saturday, and I have no plans for the immediate future. It's just a personal thing."
Hage, who took over the restaurant nearly 10 years ago, has been a pioneer in many contemporary culinary trends, including the use of fresh, local produce. She's been nominated many times for James Beard awards. Under her tenure, the restaurant has been named one of Gourmet Magazine's "Top 50 Restaurants" in the U.S. and received numerous four-star ratings and accolades.
The restaurant's closure will leave a significant gap in Dallas' dining scene.
"It's a loss for me too," she said. "I don't take anything for granted, including the overwhelming support I've had to this day, how many years later -- to still be in the position that business is strong and people are still interested in what we're doing. I know how hard things have been in the restaurant world in the past two years."
Hage said she hoped to make her departure low-key, but as the week plays out, is having increasing difficulty.
"I didn't tell anyone but my immediate employees and now everyone seems to know because my phone is blowing off the hook," she said, promising that she would update her website with information.
"I just want to get through Saturday -- I'm not thinking about anything except making it until Saturday and taking it from there," she said.
- Photos: Mot Hai Ba opened last week, serving eclectic Vietnamese fare
- UPDATED: Watel's Bistro closed
- UPDATED: Backyard bar part-owned by Pat Green will open in West Village
- First look: Fancy Bowl & Barrel puts smelly bowling alleys to shame
- Dallas' own upscale, boutique bowling alley opens November 28
- Grab brunch with fierce ladies at drag event Sunday at DISH
- Looking for dinner and a game of bocce? Try Samar by Stephan Pyles
- Dallas Beer Kitchen promises "rare, hard to find" brews on Lowest Greenville
- Transit Bicycle Co. relocates to Lower Greenville
- Creepy rendering of Big Tex shows he's almost ready for the State Fair