Thursday, September 30, 2010
Boyfriend accused in beating death of Dallas baby
Autopsy results of the child will determine whether the charge against Peterson should be upgraded to capital murder.
Dallas police say 22-year-old Jonathan Peterson couldn’t take hearing his girlfriend’s baby cry Tuesday afternoon, so he beat him to death. Peterson called 911 when one-year-old Bronson Franklin stopped breathing.
Dallas police spokeswoman Senior Corporal Janice Crowther says, "When paramedics arrived to the WinWood Apartments in Oak Cliff, they found the baby covered in bruises. They were not able to revive him."
Investigators say the baby’s mother had left her son in Peterson's care when she went to work in the morning. Senior Corporal Crowther adds, "Peterson admitted to police that he whipped the baby to make him stop crying."
Peterson has been booked on a charge of injury to a child. Senior Corporal Crowther says autopsy results of the child will determine whether the charge against Peterson should be upgraded to capital murder. He now sits in the Dallas County Jail.
See more stories in:
- Sample 150 craft beers from local homebrewers at Oak Cliff's Brew Riot
- What do you think Lee Harvey Oswald's Oak Cliff home is worth?
- Bike ride, concert, and art auction honors Oak Cliff mover and shaker Jason Roberts
- Video: Mayor Rawlings reveals plans to turn Jefferson Tower into retail and residential hub
- Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day with freebies from Norma's