Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Velvet Taco opens on Henderson with more buzz than the usual taqueria
Where is the love for the new Tacos El Guero in Lakewood?
DALLAS It's not like taquerias don't open all the time. You see a Fuzzy's opening practically every week, not to mention Mexican-owned taquerias like the Tacos El Guero which recently opened on Gaston Avenue in Lakewood, unobserved by local media.
But Velvet Taco in the old Church's Chicken spot on Henderson -- which won't open until this weekend -- has already been blessed with an onslaught of attention. To wit:
- Early item on Escape Hatch Dallas.
- Item on SideDish.
- Item on Pegasus. (To be fair, it was an item from ex-content partner CraveDFW.)
- Item in the Advocate.
- Item today on Thrillist.
- A freaking video and slide show on Escape Hatch Dallas.
A taco is a taco is a taco, so what is it about this taco joint that has so captured the imagination of the local press?
1. Great location. It's right off off 75, and it's on Henderson, making it part of the hottest restaurant nexus in Dallas.
2. Long hours. Late on weeknights, 24 hours on weekends.
3. Intriguing menu twists. It has the kind of fusion-y ingredients that make it irresistible to write about. Someone quoted co-owner Mark Brezinski as saying that the tacos will come in Asian and Indian varieties such as calamari with habanero pineapple salsa or paneer with roasted tomato chutney.
Rich white guys own it. The restaurant comes from Plan B and Front Burner, the people who own Twin Peaks, with longtime restaurateur Mark Brezinski consulting.
So you know it'll be good.
- Comedy recap: Raunchy Dustin Diamond sure isn't squeaky Screech Powers anymore
- Grab brunch with fierce ladies at drag event Sunday at DISH
- Looking for dinner and a game of bocce? Try Samar by Stephan Pyles
- Dallas Beer Kitchen promises "rare, hard to find" brews on Lowest Greenville
- Transit Bicycle Co. relocates to Lower Greenville