Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Good 2 Go Taco new East Dallas location is ready to roll
Should be serving tacos by the end of the week!
Good 2 Go previously occupied a tiny corner of the Green Spot convenience store, where it built a following for its chunky tacos filled with gourmet ingredients like sweet potatoes and quinoa. It then rocketed to national fame after an appearance on the Food Network's Best Thing I Ever Ate.
Jeana & Colleen spent the past six months fixing up the storefront. They've done a thoughtful renovation that respects the space, keeping some of its quirky fixtures, from the terrazo tile floor to the original massive safe built in 1963.
One corner has a small room encased in steel that's entirely bullet-proof; it served as a cashier station when the place was a check-cashing joint. A gorgeous old train-station clock is mounted on the wall. It's from the train station in Jeana's hometown of Palestine; her mother and grandfather both worked for the train company. The clock keeps perfect time.
The ordering area is sheathed in cedar that's been reclaimed from a fence on Henderson Avenue. So is Stir Coffee, the coffee bar outfitted with a La Marzocco Linea machine that's being opened within the space by Rip Rowan and Vanessa Peters. But probably the most gratifying element of all is the large fully-appointed kitchen and walk-in, a dramatic step up from the confined space they had at the Green Spot.
"Our dishwashing area here is bigger than our entire kitchen was," Colleen says.
- Photos: Happy-go-lucky crowd danced polka to Brave Combo tunes at Arboretum
- Australian Shepherd lost in Casa View Haven neighborhood in Dallas
- Travel Channel names the Dallas Arboretum one of America's top 12 botanical gardens
- Photos: Practically skip a stone on White Rock Lake from this mid-century modern's in-home spa
- Goat for the gold: Local 5K raises money for the Sudan with a humorous twist