Wednesday, July 27, 2011
5 best Wednesday night restaurant bargains in Dallas-Fort Worth
Don't let that nowhere-to-go-and-no-money-to-get-us-there mantra hold you back.
Whether we like to admit it or not, many of us are broke. Uncomfortably recessed by news of budget ceilings, climbing debts, and low employment rates, this summer isn’t any different than the last few. We’re familiar with staycations and short day trips that have long replaced fleet-footed getaways.
But before you hunker down with your trusty hibachi-grilled cuisine on a shoe-string budget, put out the fire, look further than your own backyard, and consider Wednesday. No, it’s not a new budget chain restaurant; it’s a day of the week. And in DFW, it means half-price (or less) when it comes to eats.
Although most restaurants and bars seem reticent to make this declaration, with a little footwork, word of mouth, and old-fashioned telephoning, foodies and people who just plain like to eat can find cheap foodstuffs on a budget. You just might feel rich again. Or, rich in the way you once imagined possible. At the very least, you’ll have a full tummy. Let’s eat.
In no particular order, here are some of the best.
1. Located at Parry and Exposition across the street from Fair Park, Wednesday nights at The Meridan Room mean half price food. For a bar, Meridian Room’s food is excellent because it doesn't seem like bar fare at all. The tuna steak, the three cheese grilled cheese, and the smoked salmon are all well worth the trip and leave you with money to tip your bartender generously. In fact, it’s so cheap, it makes you want to order two entrees. Or at the very least, get dessert. (Bread pudding: Yes, please!) But get there early. You have to be a table snatcher or you’ll be left hovering longingly over those who did.
2. Steel. Two words: Free. Sushu. Steel offers unlimited (yep) complimentary sushi rolls during happy hour on Wednesdays. All that is asked is that you purchase two drinks, which won’t break you because happy hour is in full effect, ya’ll! Choose from the California, spicy tuna, Cajun, or tempura shrimp rolls. Be sure to make a reservation for 5:30 p.m., as it will get crowded.
3. If you’re in Fort Worth, try Taverna by Alberto Lombardi for your hump day fix. Tired of cutting costs by skipping drinks with your meal? Stop right there. With the purchase of an entrée, you receive a bottle of wine at half price from 4-10 p.m. A generous happy hour means no rush or fuss to get there. Enjoy their northern Italian, farm-to-table cuisine in a cozy-rustic atmosphere.
4. For winos in Dallas, Palomino offers Wine-Down Wednesdays. All bottles more than $26 are half price all day. Throw in their “Every Day Happy Hour,” a critical event happening every day, all day, and you’ve got select pizzas for $6 as well as a variety of appetizers: Tuscan White Bean Dip, Sicilian Meatballs, Potatoes Gorgonzola, Crisp Calamari, Dungeness Crab Artichoke Dip, Meatball Sliders. At $8 or less, you can try them all. Specialty cocktails go for $5 and all draft beer is $4.
5. And for those looking to feed families and have a mid-meek fiesta, there is The Blue Goose Cantina where enchiladas are $7.95 every Wednesday night. With several locations serving the DFW area, you have no reason to blame high gas prices for going hungry.
Winers and diners suggest calling ahead to your favorite restaurants to ask about weekly specials. They’re out there, so go hungry.
Pegasus News Content partner - The Assignment Desk, DFW
What are your favorite Wednesday night discounts in DFW?