Monday, June 6, 2011
Photos and video: Westboro Baptist protesters before Game 3 of the NBA Finals in Dallas (June 5)
The protesters preached to a huge crowd that God hates the media, the NBA, and homosexuals.
DALLAS The last time we photographed the Westboro Baptist protesters in Dallas, a large group of counter-protesters staked out to protest their protest. But when representatives from the Westboro Baptist Church protested outside the American Airlines Center on Sunday before Game 3 of the NBA Finals, fewer counter-protesters were in attendance.
Members of the Westboro Baptist Church are known for holding signs saying that God hates [fill in blank here]. At Sunday's protest, they preached that God hates the NBA, the media, and homosexuals, among other things. The group is infamous for running a website that we can't name here.
If God hates the media, these protesters certainly picked a media-saturated event to show hate.
Though one passersby had a silent, aggressive answer to the Westboro signs, the protest was peaceful. Scroll down for a video of a man who spoke against the Westboro Baptist protesters.
While police looked on, one man spoke out:
Westboro Baptist Church Protest at American Airlines Center (June 5)
See more stories in:
- Joule Hotel expansion brings cocktails, fashion, food to downtown Dallas
- Omni Hotel in Dallas becomes drive-in movie theater for one night
- Not-so-polite play Profanity premieres September 10 at Undermain Theatre
- Photos: Oh yes, Dallas has its own Naked Cowboy
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at video game development at Gearbox Community Day