Monday, June 13, 2011
Photos: World champion Mavericks land at Dallas airport
The first thing we saw when the plane door opened was that shiny gold trophy.
Bars and restaurants in Dallas erupted with elated fans on Sunday night, and some of those fans headed straight to Love Field at 2 a.m. When our photographer got to the scene Monday morning, several thousand fans awaited the jet carrying JET, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Mark Cuban, and the rest of the proud Dallas Mavericks team.
But the wait was long: At least three women fainted, possibly from a combination of heat exhaustion and excitement. The public stood behind a metal fence guarded every 20 feet or so by a police officer. In all, at least three SWAT helicopters and between 200 and 300 officers were on duty.
When the plane finally landed, an elated Cuban burst out of the airplane holding the trophy. Not far behind was Nowitzki, his gold trophy glistening in the hot Texas sun.
And finally, we can say: The boys are back in town! We'll let you know when the parade is scheduled.
Pegasus News Content partner - Linda McKinney
- UPDATEDx2 with video: Watch the Dallas Mavericks on David Letterman Wednesday night
- DART, TRE broke records on Dallas Mavericks parade day
- Photos: Behind-the-scenes with Dallas Mavericks before and after the parade
- UPDATEDx2 with photos: Dallas citizens praised for safe Mavericks victory parade
- UPDATEDx5: Mavericks parade play-by-play: For those watching at home
- Photos: $19.5 million manse features secret wine cellar and sprawling backyard, all in Dallas proper
- Dallas real estate hits new high with $19.5M listing
- Photos: The Iron Lady's daughter-in-law ditched this $10M+ home
- Marquee Grill undergoes transition, regeneration, and rebirth under Andre Natera
- Photos: Former Trammell Crow exec will sell $9.75M contempo marvel