Monday, March 21, 2011
Booker T. Washington dancer admitted to Juilliard
She was one of 12 women selected.
DALLAS Amber Pickens, a senior at Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, was admitted to The Juilliard School. According to a press release, she's one of a dozen women asked to join the school.
Pickens was also given a fellowship with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater School, a company she will work with this summer before starting school at Juilliard.
Pickens was on Spring Break when she got the news that she had been accepted into the prestigious school. "When she said I was in ... I couldn't talk or move," Pickens said. "I was so excited. Getting accepted to Juilliard is a dream come true for me."
She has also received numerous awards at Booker T. Washington and appears in nationwide ads for for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. She poses as a ballerina princess in the non-profit's advertisements. Her last show is April 4-8 on Booker T. Washington's Montgomery Arts Theater stage during Dance Festival Week.
Source: The Marketing Collaborative
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger