Monday, March 21, 2011
Mountain View College men’s basketball wins national championship
A huge majority of their team are freshmen.
- Mountain View College
4849 West Illinois Avenue
- Age limit: All ages Free
DALLAS On Wednesday, the Mountain View College Lions have a lot to celebrate. Their men's basketball team won the 2011 NJCAA Division III championship on March 12 in New York state. They beat the Rochester CTC Yellowjackets 72-64 for the title. A pep rally will take place Wednesday at 2 p.m. inside of the Mountain View College gym.
MVP Marcus Price said that in addition to winning his first championship, it was his first opportunity to ride in an airplane. Price scored 18 points in the game.
College representatives hope that the championship win will help lure more athletes to Mountain View, a community college that just celebrated its 40 year anniversary. They also report that 89% of the athletes on the team were freshmen, but they were "humble and focused on the win," according to a press release.
"When the season started all of the team members were new. We had never met one another before but now we are all brothers -- a family of winners," said sophomore William "Gary" Talton.
Source: Mountain View College
- Review: Taco Wagon's renovation yields sincere "north of the border" style
- Taco review: Stick with the meat dishes at excellent La Guadalupana
- Get funky this weekend at Oak Cliff Jazz Fest
- Photos: Glam girls get all dolled up at Barbie's temporary house in Dallas
- Photos: Cutie patootie tudor proves Oak Cliff's still the hot 'hood