Monday, May 16, 2011
Local pizza shops honored at Main Street Days Festival in Grapevine
Read this and you'll get hungry.
GRAPEVINE Last weekend was a perfect time for a festival, and Grapevine Main Street Days certainly capitalized on that. The incredibly nice weather brought out crowds to the festival's Pizza Piazza -- new to the fest this year.
The winners were:
People's pizza pick: Palio's Pizza Café -- gold; Farina's Winery & Café -- silver; I Fratelli -- bronze
Best overall performance: Palio's Pizza Café
Judges' pick (as picked by celebrity judges): Farina's Winery & Café for their pepperoni and sausage pizza
Chairman's pick (as picked by festival chair Dan Weinberger): I Fratelli for their Del Bianco Pizza
Social media favorite (as picked by Facebook posts and Twitter tweets): Napoli's Italian Café for their traditional Sicilian-style pizzas
Best hand-tossed pie: Amoré's Pasta and Pizza for their white pizza
Best Texas original pizza: Cliff's Star Grill for their BBQ chicken pizza
Best variety of pizzas: Papa Murphy's
There was also a Central Market Grillin’ Competition with categories of beef, pork, chicken, and a grand champion contest for grilled pizzas. Jeff Janek from Keller won the grand champion contest with a pizza with pork ribs and polish sausage with pepper jack and mozzarella cheeses. He won a Big Green Egg grill and gift certificates from Central Market.
The festival benefits the Grapevine Heritage Foundation. The festival in 2012 will be May 18, 19, and 20.
Source: Main Street Days
- Review: Bread Haus German bakery in Grapevine delights in all things sweet
- Theater review: Always A Bridesmaid follows four life-long friends down the aisle in a raucous romantic comedy
- Mercedes from Glee to be at BlissDom conference in Grapevine
- Police still searching for escaped felon in Grapevine
- Theater review: Runway Theatre's The Full Monty unzips uproarious, in-your-face comedy