Wednesday, May 18, 2011 , Updated 12:00 a.m., January 11, 2012
UPDATEDx3: Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge re-scheduled to open March 2-4, 2012
The date was pushed back because of weather issues.
DALLAS The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas will finally be unveiled March 2-4, 2012. It was originally slated to be finished in October 2011, but we learned in early May that it just wouldn't be ready. Assistant city manager Jill Jordan said heavy rain, ice, snow, and high winds held back the project, but -- at the time -- they hoped to have it finished by the end of the year.
March 2012 it is, The Coulter Group announced.
Here's the schedule, with UPDATES:
7 p.m. Friday, March 2, 2012 – Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Party: This is a ticketed event for $200.
Entertainment will be announced soon. [UPDATEx3: Lyle Lovett will play.]
8 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 3, 2012 -- 8th Annual Trinity River Levee Run: It's $10-$25 to particulate. The 10K and 5K races will run across the bridge.
Noon on Saturday, March 3, 2012 – Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Celebration: Free and open to the public.
Sunday, March 4, 2012 – Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Community Day: Free and open to the public, the day includes an "early morning sunrise bridge blessing" at 7:15 a.m.; a ribbon cutting at 9 a.m.; and the official opening of the bridge at noon.
The bridge is famously designed by Spanish architect and artist Santiago Calatrava. According to a press release, "the bridge will be Calatrava's first vehicular bridge to be built in the U.S. to connect Singleton Blvd. in West Dallas across the Trinity River to Woodall Rodgers in downtown Dallas."
Honorary chairs for the grand opening will be Ron Kirk, Laura Miller, Tom Leppert, and the new Dallas mayor.
UPDATE x2: The theme of the celebration is "Bridging The Trinity: For The Love Of The City." An event called Bridge-O-Rama, hosted by the West Dallas Chamber of Commerce, will also happen the same weekend, with details to come.
See more stories in:
- Best ways to cruise the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas
- Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge opening delayed until March 29
- UPDATEDx2: Art in action: Shepard Fairey finishes Dallas murals
- Movie about Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge shows students awestruck over white arch
- UPDATED: Lyle Lovett, gospel band The Relatives to play Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge opening weekend
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Sample 150 craft beers from local homebrewers at Oak Cliff's Brew Riot
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Four Corners Brewery hosts Texas barbecue royalty on May 25