Friday, May 20, 2011
Dallas and Fort Worth ISD superintendents announce departures on same day
Dallas ISD trustee Carla Ranger wants Dallas ISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa removed immediately.
Thursday was a big day for Dallas-Fort Worth superintendents.
Fort Worth ISD superintendent Melody Johnson turned in her resignation Thursday morning, and Thursday afternoon, a Georgia school district voted unanimously to name Dallas ISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa as their new super.
Neither job transitions are final yet, but both came as a surprise. A Fort Worth ISD spokesperson said that only people close to Johnson "knew about some of the strains and pressures that she had been under." And for Hinojosa, most were under the impression that he was off the market.
Hinojosa explained to a group Thursday evening that he's about to be a grandfather, and his son, the dad-to-be, lives in Georgia. Hinojosa is believed to have interviewed for the Cobb County ISD superintendent position last Sunday, CBS11 reports. He was chosen as the sole candidate for Cobb County Thursday night with a unamimous vote from the school board. "He’s the right leader to take us to the next level," school board member Lynnda Crowder-Eagle said Thursday night, according to a story on East Cobb Patch.
Cobb County has about 105,000 students -- making it smaller than Dallas ISD's 150,000 student body. Hinojosa's job in Cobb would also be a pay cut, according to East Cobb Patch.
Hinojosa would leave behind a Dallas ISD school district with big financial woes. Dallas ISD trustee Carla Ranger wrote on her blog Friday that he should leave "immediately for bad faith." Here is part of that blog post:
There is no indispensable Superintendent. The staff can carry on - maybe better than now without the fear of a departing Superintendent.
The district can be run by a temporary Administrative Council of 3-5 senior staff members or whatever the Board determines.
The thrill is gone and so should the Superintendent be gone immediately.
- UPDATEDx2: Mike Miles hired as Dallas ISD superintendent
- Nine ideas to help the next Dallas ISD superintendent
- Interim superintendent Walter Dansby selected as finalist for Fort Worth ISD superintendent
- Fort Worth ISD's deputy superintendent bumped up to interim superintendent
- UPDATED: Video: Michael Hinojosa officially named superintendent for Georgia school district
- Male cat found in Lake Highlands
- Firefighters locate body in debris after old Uncle Julio's caught fire
- UPDATED: Original Pancake House offers free breakfast for blood donors on April 18
- Quaint Merriman Park home boasts private pond and selling price under $400,000
- Lakewood Brewing Company is lining up four new beers for spring and summer