Monday, September 5, 2011
Fried bubblegum, buffalo chicken flapjacks win State Fair of Texas fried food awards
Judges said the fried bubblegum was messy.
DALLAS The winners of the Texas State Fair's 2011 Seventh Annual Big Tex Choice fried food awards are:
Best Taste: Buffalo chicken flapjacks
Most Creative: Fried bubblegum
State Fair officials made the announcement in the Fair's Embarcadero Building at about 9:48 a.m. on Labor Day Monday, following judging by a panel that included: Dallas Parks Board President Joan Walne; Dallas Cowboys reporter Kristi Scales; Dallas business executive and husband of Clarice Tinsley Stephen Giles; and Dallas state representative Eric Johnson.
The emcee was Mitchell Glieber, who does marketing/public relations for the fair.
The contestants were judged in the following order:
- Buffalo flapjacks
- El baranarito
- Fried autumn pie
- Walking taco
- Fried salsa
- Kraut balls
- Pineapple upside down cake
- Fried bubblegum
The buffalo chicken in a flapjack, you may recall, is described as "a buffalo chicken strip coated in flapjack batter, rolled in jalapeno bread crumbs, deep fried to a golden brown, skewed, and served with a side of syrup." It comes from concessionaire Allan Weiss and is available inside the Automobile Building and in the Thrill Way.
The Fried bubblegum is "a light-as-a-feather bubblegum-flavored marshmallow dipped in batter, lightly fried, decorated with a swirl of icing, and sprinkled with powdered sugar." It was submitted by concessionaire Justin Martinez and will be sold at Granny's Funnel Cakes on Coliseum Drive.
Fried salsa ("spicy medley of jalapenos, roasted garlic, onion, tomato, and pepper dipped in masa and covered in crunchy tortilla chips, served with warm, deliciously creamy queso") seemed to generate the biggest response among the judges, and the fried bubblegum was the messiest.
"The kids will love it but the parents will need to bring Wetnaps," said Scales, as she stretched the bubblegum-flavored marshmallow center between her fingers. "It's just a big mess.”
See more stories in:
- Fried Thanksgiving Dinner deemed Most Creative at State Fair fried food awards
- See State Fair's 2013 fried foods, including fried Nutella and fried meatloaf
- It's National "Something On a Stick" Day: Here are our 5 faves
- UPDATED with photos: State Fair of Texas is serving fried cactus this year
- Food truck review: The Butcher's Son
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger
- Concert review: Crowds go crazy for diamond-in-the-flesh Lorde in Dallas
- Sarah Jaffe added to stacked Homegrown Fest lineup
- Bruce Springsteen will play massive, free show in Dallas on Final Four weekend