Thursday, September 22, 2011
Photos: Tiffany Derry restaurant Private Social hosts media lunch
Top Chef contestant shows her stuff.
DALLAS Private Social, one of Dallas' biggest restaurant openings this fall thanks to its celebrity chef and Top Chef alumna Tiffany Derry, previewed menu items on Thursday at a media lunch attended by about 30 reporters and bloggers.
Derry and her staff prepared a five-course meal that included pork buns which she prepared on the show; a novel "pastrami-cured" hiramasa; sturgeon and blue crab "chowder" that servers poured at the table; braised oxtail with gnudi and wonderfully bitter rapini; and chocolate cake with chai ice cream.
The lunch took place in a chef's room which featured a large window into the kitchen.
"People say that chefs are like rock stars -- well, here's the band," she said, gesturing towards her staff behind the window.
Her partners Andy Austin and Patrick Halbert hovered attentively, and consulting sommelier D'Lynn Proctor poured wine.
The restaurant opens on Saturday but will be preceded by an invite-only VIP party on Friday where Derry will be joined by comrades from her season on Top Chef including Kevin "The Beast" Sbraga, Arnold Myint, Carla Hall, and Angelo Sosa.
See more stories in:
- Neil Young returns to the Meyerson in April
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling