Monday, September 26, 2011
Photo gallery: Big Tex is all dressed up and ready for State Fair of Texas
The fair opens Friday.
FAIR PARK Big Tex is all set to say "howdy, folks!" when the State Fair of Texas opens on Friday, September 30. A small ceremony was hosted on Monday so Big Tex could be dressed, boots and all, and then hoisted into place in Fair Park in Dallas.
Big Tex is wearing a newly designed cowboy shirt picked out by fans earlier this year, which will also be available for purchase (in smaller size, of course). While at the event, Matthew McCartin, VP of marketing for Dickies, presented 1,250 uniforms each to Bernadette Nutall of the Dallas ISD school board and June Davis, Fort Worth ISD director of Special Programs for their respective districts.
"Dickies Day" is October 6 at the fair, and anyone wearing a Big Tex shirt or other Dickies garment will get in free. See other State Fair deals and discounts here.
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Did you know Mary Suhm was a high school beauty queen in Beaumont? 10 things about her:
- Dallas-based Pecan Lodge is Texas Monthly's second-best barbecue joint, sort of