Thursday, August 23, 2012 , Updated 8:05 p.m., October 7, 2012
UPDATED: “Bad boy” Chef Matt McCallister opens restaurant in Design District
You can watch him up-close while he cooks.
DALLAS Dallas Chef Matt McCallister will helm a new Design District restaurant called FT33, set to open in October. McCallister was formerly in the kitchens at Stephan Pyles in downtown Dallas and Campo Modern Country Bistro in Oak Cliff. FT33 is his first restaurant.
"FT33 will combine an approachable menu of innovative dishes with an extensive wine list, craft beer program, and inspired cocktail list," according to a press release.
The name FT33 stands for "fire table" -- the phrase yelled when it's time to prepare the next course for a table -- and "33," the number of the most prominent table in the restaurant. At the center of the room will be that very table, where diners can sit and get a "front row view" of McCallister cooking, according to press person Lauren Sancton.
Said our content partner back in 2011, "The handsome, bad-boy-looking chef is ready for the spotlight to shine squarely on him and his colorful tattoos."
The menu will have seasonally-fresh ingredients for four courses: "beginning," "fish," "meat," and "dessert." You can expect items like Wild Boar Sloppy Joes with black pepper brioche, cheddar fondue, and pickles on the bar snacks list.
Joshua Valentine will be pastry chef. Ryan Tedder is GM and sommelier.
UPDATE: The official opening day is Saturday, October 13, 2012.
- Review: FT33 is a have-to-have restaurant in Dallas
- Photos: Chef Matt McCallister's FT33 in Design District has some crazy bathrooms
- UPDATED: Chefs from The Grape, FT33, and coming-soon Spoon to be on Top Chef
- Review: Off-Site Kitchen's "ballyhooed" Crispy Sloppy Taco ain't bad, but stick with the burger
- Design District will have another notable restaurant in FT33
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Four Corners Brewery hosts Texas barbecue royalty on May 25
- Did you know Mary Suhm was a high school beauty queen in Beaumont? 10 things about her: