Wednesday, December 12, 2012
A dozen ways to enjoy 12/12/12
Because otherwise it's just another humdrum Hump Day.
It’s 12/12/12: Who’s having a baby today? For those of us not in the position to grant our spawn one of this year’s cooler birthdays -- this is the last time all three numerals in a date will be the same for 88 years -- there are still a ton of ways to celebrate, some of which are perhaps even more fun than producing a human being from your own body. Here are twelve of our favorites.
1. Order the #12 at the Velvet Taco. Or, anything on the menu, really. But, if you haven't yet tried the Grilled Mediterranean Flank Steak taco -- Brazos Valley feta, light Greek salad, tzatziki, and fresh dill on a flour tortilla -- 12/12/12 is all about breaking out of your comfort zone.
3. Take your favorite 12 year old -- you know, with his or her parents' permission -- to try out the new Bowl & Barrel. It's a "family" place that's, ahem, totes-cool enough for even the surliest tween. And, it will help work off some of that Bieber-mania.
4. Sing The Twelve Days of Christmas during The Goat's weekly Wednesday karaoke. Just know that those "five golden rings" around the toilet might talk back.
6. Run away from holiday stress with RunOn!'s annual Holiday Lights social run. Routes vary from 2 to 4 miles and all paces and levels are welcome. With locations throughout DFW, be sure to check out your local store for time details. The Mockingbird store is celebrating with a special holiday lights route and providing free food and drink, in addition to contests for best tacky sweater and craziest holiday schwag. Bring a $10-15 gift to help support Back on My Feet -- they need gloves and lights. Or, purchase one right in the store and mention the charity to receive 15% off.
7. Guzzle a 12 pack -- no wait, don't do that! Instead, check out Rahr & Sons' special Art for a Cause event. Normal Wednesday brewery tour and tasting hours are extended from 5 to 9 p.m., and you can peruse work by more than 30 local artists. $10 gets you a "super limited" pint glass filled with your choice of what Rahr has on tap -- we suggest the spicy, seasonal Winter Warmer brew. Chadra Mezza and Grill will be on-hand selling slices, and the Belgian Waffle food truck will be dazzling with "waffle magic." Proceeds support a great cause: the Ronald McDonald House of Fort Worth.
8. Spend $12 (or a bit more, if you can) supporting the North Texas Food Bank, Rosemont Goes to Washington, or the Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. And for you stylish fellas, Brooks Brothers is offering 15% off your purchase from 5 to 9 p.m. and 2% of net sales will be donated to the Golden Fleece Foundation in support of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
9. See the breakup of 2 bands -- kidding, just kidding. Club Dada hosts Bomb the Music Industry, starting at 8 p.m. An ongoing event where local musicians form a collective, Bomb the Music Industry encourages homegrown talent to write and new music on the spot, in order to bring their respective audiences into the collaborative process. Tonight, New Science Projects and The Happy Alright are putting their heads together to create an original Dallas sound. Admission is $8, but if you want to drop down $4 more in honor of 12/12/12 and to support local music, the club sure wouldn't hate you for it.
10. Try out a new hotspot and support one of Dallas' most beloved neighborhoods, with Drink Beer and Support Friends of Fair Park at Craft & Growler. Yellow Belly food truck is rolling in at 5:30 p.m., and at 6 the Mayor's Deputy Chief Shawn Williams will talk about the Grow South project. 10% of on-site sales will be donated to Friends of Fair park, and our friends at Dallas South News have all the details.
11. Pick up a dozen eggs for homemade eggnog. Here are some recipes. And, while you're at it, why not try out the new Kroger Fresh Fare at City Place? No reason a little high-calorie holiday treat can't be made from higher-quality organic goodness.
12. Stay out til midnight. When was the last time you partied til 12 a.m. on a Wednesday? Pick a bar, any bar, and drink til it's 12/13/12. We recommend brand-new spot World of Beer, an appropriately-named place that has 500 beers. Hey, that's more than 41 times that measly number 12.
Sarah Blaskovich contributed to this story.