Wednesday, December 26, 2012
McKinney fire pit explosion injures six children
The children were sprinkling gasoline over the fire and left the can too close to the open flame.
MCKINNEY Six children were injured, four critically, when a gasoline can exploded Monday in east McKinney.
The children, who range in age from 4 to 11, were sprinkling gas over an open flame in a fire pit at a residence in the 800 block of Center Street. The can was placed next to the fire, igniting vapors and causing a flash fire that injured all six children, said Stacie Durham, McKinney Fire Department spokeswoman.
The four critically injured children were flown by air ambulance to Parkland Hospital. One child was also taken to Parkland by ground ambulance, and one was taken by ambulance to Medical Center of McKinney. The incident was reported at 1:15 p.m.
Adults were inside at the time of the accident, but the children were unsupervised in the backyard at the time of the accident, Durham said.
Kennedy Caine, 11, said she was at her cousin's house across the street when she heard a boom come from the house across the street.
Caine said she was playing with some of the children who were later injured shortly before the accident and saw them being taken out of the house by EMS with severe burns to the legs, back, arms, and elbows.
"The kids I didn't know, they were really burned; really bad," she said.
The oldest child was able to communicate what happened to first responders, Durham said.
The investigation is ongoing.
Pegasus News Content partner - Star Local News
Staff writers Bill Conrad and Monique Oaks contributed to this story.
- Coffee Squared in McKinney adds sweetener with new bakery counter
- Graffiti shut down McKinney's new skate park
- McKinney's new skate park wins over residents in first week open
- Photos: McKinney residents put new skate park to good use at grand opening
- McKinney Skate Park celebrates grand opening April 20