Friday, February 3, 2012
Komen will continue funding Planned Parenthood
The reversal follows a barrage of negative press.
In a dramatic reversal on Friday, Susan G. Komen for the Cure announced it will continue funding breast exams at Planned Parenthood clinics, despite deciding earlier this week to cut off funding for the nation's leading family-planning and abortion provider.
"We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives," Komen Founder and CEO Nancy Brinker said in a statement released on the organization's blog. "...We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not."
Komen officials announced the turnaround following a barrage of negative attention and an intense social media campaign over their decision to stop grants to Planned Parenthood.
Sarah Wheat, the interim co-CEO of Planned Parenthood of the Texas Capital Region, said her office was "tearing up" over the news. "This was just heartbreaking news this week, and to have them recognize we work best when we work together is just so rewarding," she said.
Pegasus News Content partner - The Texas Tribune