Monday, February 20, 2012
Photos: Oak Cliff celebrates Mardi Gras with beads and beer (February 18 & 19)
Thousands came out to celebrate in Oak Cliff.
OAK CLIFF The Bishop Arts District in Dallas' neighborhood of Oak Cliff celebrated Mardi Gras for two days straight, starting with the Dash for the Beads run on Saturday and ending with a colorful, festive parade on Sunday.
Dash for the Beads brought out runners and walkers, many dressed in costume despite the rainy weather. Plenty of pets in costume also joined in the race. The winners were Mike Hummer, who won the men's category for the second year in a row; and Kim Rogers-Tracy for the women's category.
The weekend came to a close with a crawfish boil and Mardi Gras parade on Sunday afternoon. The parade gets bigger each year, and this year, more than 50 floats, 200 cyclists, and thousands of beads graced Oak Cliff.
About a dozen Elvises stole the show with their mini bike tricks.
Here are photos from all three events:
- Bite City Grill expected to open in Fort Worth's West Seventh district this month
- See new Toadies documentary Monday at the Kessler
- Concert review: Crowds go crazy for diamond-in-the-flesh Lorde in Dallas
- Sarah Jaffe added to stacked Homegrown Fest lineup
- Review: Kessler Cookie Company will keep you coming back for more