Monday, January 2, 2012
Photos: Westboro protesters face off against Occupy Dallas demonstrators at TicketCity Bowl
You might say that the two groups don't see eye-to-eye.
FAIR PARK While some of you may have watched the TicketCity Bowl on television on Monday, outside the football game at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas' Fair Park, the infamous Westboro Baptist Church protesters faced off against an equally passionate group of Occupy Dallas demonstrators.
The TicketCity Bowl pitted Penn State and Houston. Houston won. But we digress.
There to protest the recent sexual abuse scandal at Penn State, Westboro protesters held signs expressing hate for Jerry Sandusky, who was charged with dozens of accounts of sexual abuse of boys. Protesters also carried signs against Joe Paterno, Penn State's coach for more than 40 years who was fired during the sex abuse scandal. But perhaps not to leave Penn State's rival team Houston out, protesters also carried signs against Houston's mayor Annise Parker, the first openly gay mayor in a major metropolitan city in the U.S.
There to oppose the Westboro Church members were Occupy Dallas protesters, who strutted, shouted, and even engaged in a woman-on-woman kiss to prove their different views.
The photos say it all:
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra maestro is selling Ritz home for $2.9 million
- Comedy review: Hilarious men of Whose Live Anyway? heckle Dallas with raunchy improv
- Wing Bucket to open in Downtown Dallas, with PB&J wings on menu
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park