Thursday, July 12, 2012
Restaurant review: Pecan Lodge in Dallas
The Hot Mess is worth another visit.
We arrived on the Thursday after July 4th at noon. The line was wrapped around the side of the building and down the hall. Luckily, it is located inside the air conditioned shed #2 AND our spot in line put us right across from a fudge shop. Jackpot.
The line moved quickly, and we soon found ourselves ordering up The Hot Mess. The Hot Mess is something you may have seen on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives? It even has its own hashtag. It is darn good. This salted sweet potato is topped with barbacoa, chopped bacon, chives, butter, and chipotle cream. The picture doesn't really do justice to how good this potato is, but it is unparalleled - and it's a ton to eat.
Wanting to try a sampling of sides, we also ordered up the fried okra and the mac and cheese. The mac and cheese had a whole litany of praise mounted on the wall as part of their advertising. However, we found the dish to be a little grainy and not quite up to snuff. The cheese was mild and it was topped with bacon - but the grainy texture to the roux really put us off.
The fried okra was delicious and couldn't have been done better. Crisp applied to both the breading and the okra itself. Every single piece was a success. It was an A+ side dish.
Pegasus News Content partner - The Dish On Dallas
See more stories in:
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Four Corners Brewery hosts Texas barbecue royalty on May 25
- Did you know Mary Suhm was a high school beauty queen in Beaumont? 10 things about her: