Friday, June 15, 2012
Have a ball — or hit one — on Father’s Day in McKinney
If you're up north, there's lots to do.
Father's Day Weekend is upon us. Two Words: Top Golf. This is seriously becoming one of my family's favorite playgrounds. Located just south of McKinney at Stacy Road and U.S. 75, Top Golf is a mucho fun multi-tiered golf entertainment complex that features a variety of point-scoring golf games that anyone can play. Bays, similar to those found in bowling alleys boast animated scoreboards, as well as flat-screen television sets so dad can simultaneously watch his favorite sports team while enjoying the day with the fam. Just add food and beverages from the neighborhood-style bar and grill, and you have a Father's Day celebration you'll all enjoy. As if that's not fun enough, throughout the summer, Top Golf features live entertainment each Friday and Saturday night, too. Top Golf is open 7 days a week.
Pack your picnic basket and grab your lawn chairs, as McKinney's Jammin' in June concert series starts Thursday. This concert series brought to us by McKinney's Parks and Rec, runs three consecutive Thursday nights in June. Tonight's concert slated for Towne Lake Park features the Sgt. Petter's Lonely Bluegrass Band. Concert starts at 7:30 p.m. and goes til 9 p.m. Admission is free.
The City of McKinney Parks, Recreation & Open Space Department also brings us a Juneteenth Community Celebration of Freedom featuring a community cook-out, live entertainment, a children's play area and games. This annual event takes place Saturday, June 16, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Old Settler's Park.
Finally, if you haven't quite finished up your Dad-Day shopping, don't forget that this weekend brings Third Monday Trade Days to town. Gates open Friday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Bring $5 to park, or wait til after 3 p.m. and park free.
If that isn't enough to fill your Father's Day weekend, here are a few other items of interest brought to us by our friends at the McKinney Convention and Visitor's Bureau:
- Animal Superheroes: Heard Natural Science Museum
- Butterfly Garden & House: Enjoy being immersed among native Texas fluttering butterflies in our butterfly house and butterfly garden. Through September 30.
- FLAMEFEST Soccer Tourney: Open to Academy teams U9/U10 Boys/Girls and U11-U19 Boys/Girls. Craig Ranch Soccer Complex.
Thursday, June 14:
- Adriatica Farmers Market: 3-7 p.m. 6851 Virginia.
Friday, June 15:
- WAM Bunco Charity Nite: Women's Alliance of McKinney hosts. $20 for WAM members, $25 for non-members; $5 of each goes to Hope's Door charity. 5-:7:30 p.m. at Chamber Office.
Saturday, June 16:
- Weekly Group Bike Ride: Leaves Cadence Cyclery in downtown McKinney at 7:20 a.m. on Saturdays.
- Farmers Market at Chestnut Square: 8 a.m. to noon at 315 S. Chestnut.
- Drum Circle: 10 a.m., Old Settlers Rec. Center.
- Franconia Brewing Tour: 11 a.m.; $5 per person for tour/tastings.
Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17:
- Lone Star 4H Horse Club: Myers Park.
Artists and gallery exhibits:
These artists have exhibits in the galleries located around the historic downtown square.
- The Garret Gallery: Found-object artist Jay Garrison.
- Imaging on the Square: Local artists. 109 S. Tennessee.
- Laura Moore Fine Art: Laura Moore's own work, "Habitant de Paris."
- Orisons Art & Framing: Art by Kristine Byars, Kim Englishbee, and Barbara Mason.
- The Artist's Loft features SOFT ART - fiber art demonstrations and completed work.
Nightlife and music scene:
- Cadillac Pizza Pub: Open Mic Night (Thursday); Chant! (Friday); T-Richard & the Zydeco Stingrays
- Hank's Texas Grill: Big Gus & Swampadelic (Thursday); Johnny Cooper (Friday); No Justice (Saturday)
- Grand Bar: The Brehms (Thursday); Melissa Medlock (Friday); Buzz Andrews (Saturday)
- Grotto Live: Get Buzzed (Thursday); ToNe JoNeS (Friday); Missing 3 (Saturday)
- Landon Winery: Anthony Bakly (Friday); Duane Bates (Saturday)
- Lone Star Wine Cellars: Friday & Saturday
- Spoons Cafe: Open Mic Night (Thursday); live music (Friday through Saturday)
Pegasus News Content partner - Town Square Buzz