Friday, March 23, 2012
Video: Fort Worth musician Josh Weathers covers Whitney Houston
It was a soulful addition to Weathers' funky set.
DALLAS At Thursday night's Cowboy Mouth show at the Granada Theater, crowds were treated to an unexpected rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" by opening act Josh Weathers. The Houston cover came a few hours after a coroner confirmed that she died of drowning six weeks ago.
Weathers interrupted his funky set with the cover song, giving it no introduction. Crowds at the Granada, myself included, were chilled by his rendition. One twitter naysayer called it "an awkward rendition of 'I Will Always Love You' by Eminem," but we found it sincere, soulful, and thoroughly unexpected given the gritty rock songs Weathers and his band so successfully delivered.
Blame my iphone speakers for the slight cracks in sound. Weathers, sounding like Amos Lee, covered the track beautifully:
Josh Weathers covers Whitney Houston at Granada Theater (March 22)
See more stories in:
- DISH serves brunch with some fierce ladies at this Sunday's drag brunch
- Dallas Beer Kitchen promises "rare, hard to find" brews on Lowest Greenville
- Transit Bicycle Co. relocates to Lower Greenville
- Paleo-inspired restaurant HG Sply Co. opens May 21 on Lower Greenville
- "Young and funky" wanted for television series filmed at Dallas' Good Records