Monday, March 26, 2012
Folk festival in Dallas on Saturday is big folkin’ deal
The show is Saturday, March 31 at Prophet Bar.
DEEP ELLUM Quick, name a folk band from Dallas-Fort Worth. Then see if they're included on the list below for The Deep Ellum Big Folkin' Festival. Folk yeah.
The fest on Saturday, March 31 features five stages and a gazillion local folk bands. (OK, 30.) It's the big, bad project of Jeremy Drake of Parallel Play and Joel Fruth of The Prophet Bar to showcase this genre which they call "underappreciated" in a neighborhood "underrated."
Hippies are welcome, but Drake jokes that no camping is required -- or allowed -- at the fest. "All drum circles will be squarely eliminated. Use caution when a banjo is being operated for a hootenanny may occur," Drake writes.
Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 at the door, and the folkin' festival takes place at Prophet Bar.
- 6 p.m.: Ryan Thomas Becker
- 7 p.m.: Dovetail
- 8 p.m.: Joe Firstman/The Cordovas
- 9 p.m.: Parallel Play
- 10 p.m.: Whiskey Folk Ramblers
- 11 p.m.: Telegraph Canyon
- 12:30 a.m.: Kirby Brown
- 6:30 p.m.: Justin Kipker
- 7:30 p.m.: One Red Cent
- 8:30 p.m.: Goodnight Ned
- 9:30 p.m.: The Will Callers
- 12 a.m.: Nicholas Altobelli
- 6:15 p.m.: Beauxregard
- 7:15 p.m.: Horse Thief
- 8:15 p.m.: Bravo, Max!
- 9:15 p.m.: Johnny Beauford
- 10:15 p.m.: Possessed By Paul James
- 12 a.m.: The O’s
- 1 a.m.: The Roomsounds
- 6:30 p.m.: Playtime Rabbit
- 7:30 p.m.: Greg Schroeder
- 8:30 p.m.: Loyal Sally
- 9:30 p.m.: Steve Stanley and the Mercs
In Accord stage
- 5:30 p.m.: Lara Parker
- 6 p.m.: Kyle Brooks
- 6:30 p.m.: Chris J Norwood
- 7 p.m.: Emmeline
- 7:45 p.m.: Hannah Wilshire
- 8:30 p.m.: Garrett Owen
- 9:15 p.m.: Jaimee Harris
- 10 p.m.: Rahim Quazi
- UPDATED: Austin's Houndstooth Coffee heads to
- Joule Hotel expansion brings cocktails, fashion, food to downtown Dallas
- Omni Hotel in Dallas becomes drive-in movie theater for one night
- Not-so-polite play Profanity premieres September 10 at Undermain Theatre
- Photos: Oh yes, Dallas has its own Naked Cowboy