Friday, November 23, 2012
Fabulous Alyssa Edwards to represent North Texas on RuPaul’s Drag Race
A trained dancer, the Mesquite resident was "born doing drag."
MESQUITE Disclaimer: I absolutely love drag queens.
As RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars nears its final episode, a new group of fierce queens has been announced for RuPaul’s Drag Race season 5 starting in January. Based on what we have seen so far, there is going to be a lot of attitude, a LOT of makeup, and a solid amount of talent.
There has never been a Dallas drag queen in RuPaul’s Drag Race. It's unbelievable, but true. On my last outing to the Rose Room a few weeks back, I saw a couple of queens that can give most previous Drag Race contestants a run for their money. One of them performed a ridiculously maniacal Nicki Minaj medley … it was glorious.
This season, we can finally get excited when a local queen will be representing our area. This fabulous Southern belle hailing from Mesquite is Alyssa Edwards. If you are familiar with the drag scene in Dallas, you may have heard of Alyssa, especially in the drag pageant circuit. Edwards is known as the Vanessa Williams of drag because, after winning a national pageant, she had to relinquish her crown. The title went to Coco Montrese, who also happens to be a contestant this season. All that to say: DRAMA!! Yay!
Alyssa is a trained dancer and drag mom to one of Drag Race’s most notorious and hilarious queens, Shangela.
Not a lot of information has been released about Alyssa on the show since it’s still pretty early, but here are some things we learned from her on the video below:
• She was “born doing drag.”
• Alyssa was raised with four sisters, so that got her started on dabbling with make up from a young age.
• Her drag name “Alyssa” was inspired by the one and only Alyssa Milano (duh!).
• She is not a seamstress (she has friends for that) but is great with a glue gun.
• Alyssa describes herself as funky, fun, fierce, and flamboyant.
• Her legs are her best features.
• She has a gay uncle who believes in her and gives her guidance and support.
• She also talks about what she likes about some previous Drag Race contestants: The look of Raven, the attitude of Shangela and Chanel, the polished and perfected style of Chad Michaels and Alexis Mateo.
- Theater review: Mesquite troupe gives rough-around-the-edges performance of Steel Magnolias
- Tour historic Mesquite with four-legged friends at city's Bark in Park
- Mesquite Rodeo GM says infamous "Obama clown" could appear during closing weekend
- Mesquite police investigating 18-year-old who died in jail
- Mesquite tackles child hunger crisis with Lunch Buddies program