Thursday, November 29, 2012
First US city to adopt Energy Star guidelines, Frisco leads nation in green initiatives
But, here are even more ways to save moolah while you save the earth.
FRISCO Did you know that Frisco, Texas is a leader in green initiatives? Actually, Frisco, Texas is the first city in the U.S. to officially support and adopt the Energy Star building guidelines as its mandatory minimum standard for new home construction. This year marked the 11th anniversary since adoption.
What does that mean for you, my fellow Frisconian? Well, first of all its saving you about $436 a year and residents of Frisco roughly $45 million since 2001. Not too shabby, eh?
So how can you take this one step further? You’ve heard the pitch before, I’m sure. You know the one: watch your electricity usage, recycle, and use your car less (or get an electric car). Easier said than done? Maybe. Let’s break this down a little further for some easy to digest and easy to implement green living actions:
1. Take the Green Challenge: Frisco Green Living challenges you to try different green methods and then send them a quick note on how it went. The latest challenge? Go one week without getting a plastic bag while shopping. Take note of every time you are offered a bag and calculate how many you didn't use.
2. Save Energy: Recharge Texas lays out the not so well known, but incredibly easy to follow energy saving tips. They also challenge some energy saving myths! Read through this once and you’ll be sure to change your habits – no extra energy required! Here’s a few that caught my eye:
- A computer’s sleep mode is NOT okay for overnight – sleep mode still uses a significant amount of energy.
- Don’t peek in the oven! The temperature drops 25° F and requires additional energy to bring the it back up.
- Refrigerators and freezers operate most efficiently when full. If nothing else, keeping them stocked with bottles of water will make a big difference!
3. Looking for a green makeover? A green lifestyle makeover that is. Follow these 10 Simple Steps for Green Living to transform your everyday. Including (but not limited to) how to create a simple personal air filtration using plants and how to plan and have a green wedding.
4. Like that fresh air your breathing? Good! Then you should think about going electric. The Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, and Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid all host the electric feature. Each offer slightly different options, but all will decrease your carbon footprint. Don’t let the myths and rumors of electric scare you off! And don’t forget to mark these DFW charging stations located all around the Metroplex. Drive on and breathe easy!
Convinced yet? I hope so. Living green not only saves energy and resources, but saves you money. Don’t miss out on these websites for further green living tips:
- FriscoGreen Living
- LifeTips – GreenLiving
- National Geographic’s Green Guide
Pegasus News Content partner - I Heart Frisco
I Heart Frisco is a blog dedicated to capturing the who’s, what’s, when’s, and how’s of all things Frisco and putting in one place for you, the savvy user, to go to for news and reviews on all the latest and greatest.
See more stories in:
- UPDATED: Jimmy Buffett sails back to Frisco for June 21 concert
- Review: Cirque du Soleil's Varekai suffers from confusing story
- Theater review: Take a lesson in morality from The Foreigner in Frisco
- UPDATED: 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House in Frisco reopened Monday
- Former Dallas Cowboys player Gerald Sensabaugh's Frisco home is for sale