Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Carrollton high school football player died of heroin overdose
The medical examiner just confirmed his cause of death.
CARROLLTON Kiet Nguyen, a Carrollton Creekview football player who was found dead in his home last month, died of a heroin overdose, according to a report from the Tarrant County Medical Examiner.
According to the report released on Monday, Nguyen's cause of death was accidental acute heroin intoxication.
According to Jon Stovall, public information officer for the Carrollton Police Department, Nguyen's case is still under investigation, and has been since his death.
Stovall also said Carrollton PD has not noticed an increase in the number of overdose deaths in the city.
"Unfortunately we, like all cities our size, deal with deaths from overdose," Stovall said. "Not all overdose deaths are from a controlled substance, many are a result of prescription medication."
Stovall said Carrollton PD has not yet determined what method was used to introduce the heroin into Nguyen's body, and that no needles or drug paraphernalia were found at the scene.
The Creekview Mustangs dedicated their victory over Keller Timber Creek on September 14 to Nguyen, and held a moment of silence before the game in his honor.
Pegasus News Content partner - Star Local News
- Firefighters battle paper fire in 100-degree weather
- Theater review: Accompany a father on a journey between religion and culture in Fiddler on the Roof
- Police seek information about July 6 fatality on I-35E in Carrollton
- Photos: Volkswagens compete for "best display of rust" and "best survivor"
- Odd man out: Tales of getting turned down during The Real World audition in Dallas